Sweet Basil essential oil offers a sweet and spicy aroma. It is part of the mint family and the basil herb offers properties that fight against depression, ease muscle aches and migraines.
Sweet Basil essential oil has a refreshing effect. Its popular use is usually for treating nervous tension, mental fatigue, melancholy, migraines and depression. Due to this calming nature of basil essential oil, it is widely used in aromatherapy. It is regularly uses for mental strength and clarity.
Sweet Basil essential oil is also reputed to improve blood circulation and thus helps in increasing metabolism.
Sweet basil is a low growing, tender annual plant, that reaches between 40cm to 80cm in height at maturity. It has square, branching stems, slightly serrated fragrant leaves that are smooth, shiny and paired opposite, with flowers that cluster in terminal spikes. The colour of leaves and flowers varies according to the climatic and soil conditions under which it is grown. Essential oil cells are located underneath the broad leaves and in the flowering tops.
- Method of Extraction: Steam Distilled
- Colour: Clean
- Consistency: Thin
- Perfumery Note: Top
- Aroma: Sweet, floral fresh, warm, airy and uplifting
- When used on the skin, Sweet Basil Essential Oil is reputed to nourish, repair, balance, calm, soothe, exfoliate, and brighten the complexion.
- When used in hair, Sweet Basil Essential Oil cleanses, refreshes, hydrates, softens, and strengthens the strands.
- When used medicinally, Sweet Basil Essential Oil is reputed to ease minor skin irritations, cramps, joint pain, muscular aches, spasms, gout, flatulence, and exhaustion. It is also said to enhance immune function, protect against infection, reduce water retention, and stabilize irregular menstruation.
Please read our essential oil guide below.