We have about 3 weeks of summer left and I thought now would be a good time to provide some recipes for dry and sun damaged skin.
Avocado & Cucumber Clay Mask
This recipe is great for dry, sun-damaged or ageing skin. Cucumber works well as a cooling and revitalizing agent, and especially effective for sun-damaged skin. Check out our other facial care recipes using cucumber.
- 5 cm (2inches) unpeeled crushed cucumber
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Almond Milk
- ¼ Avocado flesh
- 2 tablespoon (30ml) jojoba oil
- 2 tablespoon (30ml) Glacial Marine Clay Powder
Mix all the ingredients together well. Add enough glacial marine clay powder to make a paste that is dry but still workable. The more clay is used, the faster the mask will dry and the more tight the mask will feel on your skin. Apply on face, taking care to avoid the eye. Let dry while laying down for complete relaxation. Use a wash cloth with luke warm water and gently remove the mask.
Papaya Clay Mask
An effective mask to conteract the damaging effects of the sun. Papaya contains vitamins (particularly high in A and C) and enzymes which give it mild exfoliating properties.
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Glacial Marine Clay (Wet)
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Mashed Papaya
- 1-2 drops orange essential oil
Mix to a smooth paste, apply on face, let dry. Use wash cloth with luke warm water and gently remove mask.
- 1 tablespoon of Rose clay or Glacial Clay
- 3 drops sea buckthorn CO2 select
- 10 drops or 1/2 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
- 2 tablespoons Neroli Hydrosol
- 1 drop Neroli Essential Oil
- 1 drop Frankincense Essential Oil
Blend all ingredients well, adding more hydrosol if necessary to make a smooth, spreadable mixture. Tie your hair back out of the way. Apply to neck and face. Lie down and enjoy the wonderful aroma for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse well with tepid water, moisturize with your favorite carrier.
Note – You can omit the Frankincense, and use instead Rose Geranium hydrosol and essential oil for combination skin, Melissa or Tea tree hydrosol and manuka or lavender essential oil for problem or oily skin, Rose hydrosol and essential oil for any skin. This recipe is from Natures Gift.
Sun Repair Essential Oil Blend
- 10 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 5 drops of Rosehip Oil
- 1 ounce of Aloe Vera Gel
Leave on face for 5 to 10 minutes, gently wash off face. If you want to make a serum, exchange the aloe vera gel with a carrier oil like jojoba oil or sweet almond oil. It can be oily if you are prone to oily skin. Put in a dark bottle and store in a cool place. Will last about 1 to 2 weeks.