We do our best to use toxin-free beauty products, particularly for the things we love and use on our bodies every day. But, like most of you, I also love immediate results, intense relief for dry skin and at the same time, long-lasting make-up products, hair dye that does cover the grey and beautiful red lips. Just ask my family and friends!
Can we find beauty products that work and are toxin free?
At this point, we still have to mix it up but progress is moving so quickly that I believe that we will soon be able to have both – toxin-free and long-lasting beauty regimen! The cosmetic industry is clearly listening to us and the natural skin care industry is becoming more advanced in their product development.
When I entered the natural skin care industry in 2004, it was a quite industry, a lot of education was going on. Consumers were not interested in purchasing $5.00 bar of handcrafted, all-natural soap – what did it mean “no chemical hardeners”?
Today, there is so much content out there, all claiming to provide the right answer making it difficult to find a product that is right for you with the right ‘natural’ ingredients you need.
Where do start?
The best advise I can give is the simpler is better. Get to know what the ingredient is supposed to do for your skin type. The more knowledge you have about skin care and your health, the more empowered you will be in making the right choice for you.
Non-Toxin Beauty Regime
- Goat’s Milk Soap: Make sure it is vegetable based soap with goat’s milk. There are a lot of soaps out there, you’ll need to take the time to read “how they make their soaps“. Personally, I don’t use glycerin soaps, handcrafted or not, this process includes the use of alcohol, which dries the skin.
- SUKIN Cream Cleanser: Love it! I live in Canada and I have super dry skin and the Sukin cream cleanser is just awesome. It leaves my face felling clean, soft and breathable. Paraben free, 100% vegan.
- Shea Butter: Great for the body, a bit oily but if you use it right after the shower, your body will absorb the butter faster leaving you soft and dewy. Don’t forget to moisturize your feet!
- Dry Brushing: No toxin-free beauty regime is complete without dry brushing. This technique is a part of Ayurveda, it combines a natural brush with essential oils and you gently brush your skin using long strokes towards your heart. There are several great videos on YouTube to get you started. It also stimulates your body from the outside in. It works to cleanse the system and very good with people who suggest from Lymphedema. Again, please read up on this before starting this practice.
- EarthLab Lipstick Pencil: I wear the colour EarthLab Vegan Lipstick in “Cheeky” for sometime and it’s just lovely. These natural minerals lip pencils are made-to-order, each one fresh just for you! They are super soft, they do not run or smudge easily and wash off easily.
- Kérastase Bain Fluidealiste – Sulfate-Free: Granted this isn’t an all natural hair product, but the quality is one of the best shampoo that is out there today. It is gentle on the hair, provides good cleansing and a little goes a long way.
I look forward to hearing your non-toxin beauty regime.