Gently scrubbing the skin in a circular motion while take a shower and allowing it to sweat through physical activity should be part of everyone’s routine. Just these two simple activities will improve your muscle tone and reduces puffiness and cellulite. Plus, it will leave your skin clean and smooth. These simplest of acts will help to rid of skin toxins. But what are skin toxins and what should we do about it?
What Are Skin Toxins?
The skin is the largest organ on our bodies and serves us in many ways. several bodily functions. The skin is a self-healing barrier that supports the immune system and it naturally sheds the cellular waste material through sweat glands. It is this excretory system, or the organs and glands that flush out toxins and excess minerals from the body.
Why Should You Care About Detoxification?
Because its the natural course of our bodies to rid of waste, fluids, fats and other unnecessary harmful compounds. The body eliminates up to 1 pound of waste products every day through the skin. The major organs that does the work of elimination are the lungs, digestive system, kidneys, liver, and skin, these provide ongoing detoxification in the human body.
If we stay stagnate, keeping toxins in the body allowing them to build and overtime disrupt the natural flow and process of our body can lead to weakened immune system, fibromyalgia, bad breath, inflammation, constipation to advanced aging. The point is, we should care about detoxification as ti will help to keep the skin open and maintain its ability to properly release waste products efficiently.
A proper detoxification program starts with the basic:
- Drink filtered water and herbal teas. Do drink 3 litres a day but go at your own pace, the point is get your urine to be almost clear.
- Eat a variety of green and raw foods.
- Add legumes to your diet, chick peas, lentils, split green peas will help in the elimination of toxins through the bowels.
Of course, living a healthy lifestyle can help decrease exposure to toxins and help the body with elimination. Cigarettes, drugs and alcohol all put additional toxins in the body forcing the body to work harder to eliminate these toxins. An active lifestyle, even just walking every day for 30 minutes will move the toxins towards the organs that does the job of eliminating waste.
What’s That Your Tasting?
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic dental technique that involves using about a tablespoon of organic coconut oil and swishing it in your mouth on an empty stomach for about 20 minutes. Ayurvedic practitioners states this will help to draw out toxins and eliminate bacteria that contributes to bad breath, which will improve oral health and thereby also improve overall health.
Remember to purchase a coconut oil that can be digested and do take the time to speak with the specialist at your favourite health food store.
Foot Baths / Food Scrubs
Eastern traditions believe that toxins can be eliminated through the feet, so try regular foot baths with bath salts and essential oils. Also, take the time to gently scrub the bottom of your feet. Use the same application as the body scrub, using circular motion, long strokes and moving towards the heart.
Sugar & Salt Detox Scrub Recipe
- 1 cup sea salt
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 8 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 12 drops of Lemon, Rosemary, Mint or Clove essential oil per cup of dry material.
- Mix all the ingredients in a amber container.
- Starting from the feet moving towards the heart, gently apply the scrub on wet body using circular motion.
- Take special care around your lymph nodes, very gently using circular motion at the back of thighs, groin, armpits and neck and again moving towards the heart.
- Take your time, do not rush or apply pressure
- Leave scrub on body, and relax in your bath tub for 20 minutes. Shower to rinse off scrub.